Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Otto and the Pee-Mail

The phone rang at 8:02 am this morning. The caller identified himself as our neighbor, whom I have never met, nor do I know which house he lives in. Guess we haven't been very social in the one year we have lived here with the neighbors. I was thinking to myself on this Pre-Valentine's day morning, it was a little early to be inviting us to a party, or, as are most of the neighbors calls to us, a solicitation to buy their children's girl scout cookies...to make a small contribution to their son's basketball team...I don't remember any of them ever saying, "Welcome to the neighborhood."

The caller politely asked me if I wouldn't mind, it isn't like they don't like and appreciate dogs, and that he "really didn't know how to nicely say this"...but ...if I really wouldn't mind "CURBING THE DOGS AWAY FROM HIS MAILBOX!" I apologized three times, sorry, very sorry and so so sorry, and promised that I would do my best to make sure that they avoided "their mailbox."

How embarrassing is that? It is entirely my fault but I must say in my own lame defense, it has been 40 below here and unimaginably windy. I have between wearing multiple layers of clothing, two hats and ski goggles because my eyelashes have been freezing, it has been dangerously cold outside. It is true, my dogs have been visiting the neighbor's mailboxes (all of them) doing their version of checking their pee-mail. One goes, the other dog goes immediately after leaving a bright yellow spot in the three foot drifts beneath each mailbox. It really doesn't look very nice. I should have pulled them away from the mailboxes but frankly I just wanted to get the walks over as quickly as possible. I realize that I am accountable. (At least Otto didn't whiz IN their mailbox, which in his more macho days, easily could have.)

So, we went out with the dogs after "the call." Husband shaking his head, defensively mumbling... "what a ___hole.." Both dogs sadly leashed. The 10 year old lab has never even been on a leash, he kept looking up as if to say, what have I done, it's the other ones fault..

I wonder if Hallmark makes an apology card for this?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your neighbor needs to get a life. Does he sit by the window watching? He's the one who should be embarassed for his ridiculous behavior. I have never heard that dog urine hurts a mailbox, particularly after it's diluted in 4 feet of snow.Perhaps you could politely tell the jerk to keep his kid away from your doorbell when he rings it to sell cookies.