Monday, February 16, 2009

Otto Madoff with my money!

It seems that everyone you meet is talking about how lousy the economy is. Everyone in our house has cut spending back dramatically, everyone except Otto that is. Best I can tell, he is having Salmon Fumé for breakfast and dinner!


Otto's allergies have once again flared beyond the tolerable zone and both he and I are desperate to find a proper solution. I have eliminated milkbones (heaven forbid a dog should have a MILKBONE with all their horrible additives...regardless that they have been the reward of every long lived dog that I have ever had...I have eliminated dairy since cheese might be the new poison.. I have dosed him like a junkie full of Benadryl, I have hosed his eyes with Neo-Poly-Dex, bathed him daily with relief baths and have contributed to my Vet's retirement plan at the expense of my own this year...all attempts sadly providing only temporary relief to Otto.


So now at the on going request of his breeder, I have agreed to start him on his third round of new food, a grain free food. She suggested that I switch from the Holistic Chicken food made up of hand raised organic, free roaming little peckers (for $48.00 a bag) ...over to a top quality brand called "Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Canine Formula."

Top ingredients are as follows: Salmon, ocean fish meal, sweet potatoes, potatoes, canola oil, salmon meal, smoked salmon, etc..


You know you are in trouble when the dog food that you are buying is football field away from where everyone else is shopping.... a solid 12 aisles away from the "Purina One" which so successfully nourished my last three dogs till they were each about 122 years old. Otto's new dining pleasure is located in the only aisle where the sales people seem to be... next to the tiny $7.95/bag of hand rolled, grain free, organic, sun ripened, sweet potato treats (which I also purchased.)

Otto's new smoked salmon dinner has far better ingredients then any meal that I have eaten since the stock market went south. To make matters worse I had to listen to my husband complain for the 35 minute ride home about how ridiculous feeding a dog a grain free diet was...and how stupid it was that he couldn't eat milkbones...and how expensive it was that Otto now had to eat salmon...and how totally lame the whole anatolian world was..blah blah...blah. I stopped listening and began wondering if Otto's new diet was going to make him thirsty. Smoked salmon makes me very thirsty.




Time will tell. I will slowly mix the old food with the new and commence the process of eliminating any type of grains, dairy, meat and chicken from his diet hopefully within two weeks.... The testimonials are inspiring about going to a grain free diet especially for a dog with chronic allergies.

1 comment:

Judy said...

I've found that a raw egg helps with allergies too. Good luck - allergies are such difficult things to live with.