Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Otto and the "Power Nap"

I believe that Otto looks at the world in terms of what he wants, what he doesn't want, what is his and what can be his. Sometimes I think that his world must appear to him as one giant version of mine, soon to be mine and more mine.

My husband is dying to leave an anonymous comment on this blog detailing an event that occurred when Otto was a mere 11 months old. Like clockwork, every day, my husband would take a nap on the floor around 3:00 pm. A short "15 minute power nap" as he would call it. Well, one time during one of these 45 minute nappy's, Otto casually walked by him as he was laying on the carpet in the middle of the room and lifted his leg. I emphasize the word "casually" because I watched him do it. He walked by slowly and casually lifted his leg on my husbands foot and released a little yellow squirt.

I remember thinking to myself, maybe he won't notice. Maybe he is in a deep enough sleep that he won't even notice..heavy prayers...

Best I can describe and remember, It was like a slow motion horror film when the dead come back to life, sit straight up and start screaming....guess he isn't as sound of a sleeper as I thought, funny how he could never manage to hear the phone ringing during those naps.

Otto ran up the stairs, husband screaming behind him. I never went upstairs to see how that mismatch ended. Every article that I have read about Anatolian Shepherd Dogs has consistently stated, you can NEVER MUST NOT EVER HIT your Anatolian, it is not only ineffective, it can shut the dog down, make the dog mean, produce the opposite of the desired effect, etc... evidently some one in my house (there are just two of us here) failed to read as much as I have....enough about that topic. Otto never lifted his leg on my husband again.

1 comment:

Semavi Lady said...

As Capt Jack Sparrow and associates would say, "It's just a guideline". :)

If a punishment is nonproductive (doesn't get the right result) and is used repetitively... then it is abusive at that point.