Thursday, January 31, 2008

The vacation dilemma

I can not comfortably leave Otto for a long weekend, or a short weekend for that matter. I worry about him to such a degree that it is easier if my husband and I travel separately which usually means, he goes and I stay. I know this is unhealthy. People leave their dogs at kennels, at Pet Smart, they bring in dog walkers, they have live ins. I will rephrase that, I can leave him, I choose not to. My heart is happier when he is around. This poses an unhealthy dilemma. Otto doesn't have alot of experiences that don't include my oversight. What if I left him and some one abused him?

One night last summer we organized an overnight road trip with several couples, most of whom had dogs. I decided that I could board him at the same place that EVERYONE else was using, reluctantly I took him there at 7:00 am. For the next 32 hours I did nothing but quietly think about him. I sent him psychic energy, I hoped he was doing well in what ever environment he was in. My heart felt heavy. Even my husband would look at me during the big "Overnighter" and say, "wonder what the Dumbass is doing..." I went to sleep hoping that morning would come fast so I could get home to him.

I should have known better when I asked to see the room that Otto was going to be put into for the evening and the caretaker of the boarding facility said that wasn't possible "it would be too disturbing for all the other dogs. " I should have run for the hills with Otto in tow, instead I let her lead him away.... I suffered more then he did I am sure. When we went to pick him up, there was a huge (and intact) Rot running along the exterior of the kennels with the ability to get up close to the boarded dogs...but they couldn't get close to him....I remember thinking, why was that dog allowed out. Otto must have been miserable with that situation....Turned out to be the owners dog. The only time that Otto has ever acted in a destructive matter was that night. He chewed up his bed which he has never done. He didn't eat his food and he was dying of thirst when I picked him up. He smelled so bad that we had to bath him in the garage. Let everyone else board their pals there, when I picked him up, Otto looked like he had seen a ghost. He looked shocked. It made me sick. I was so mad, mad at myself....I just don't think I can leave him again....

What do parents do when they have to leave their small children? It would be a nightmare.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Parents find a sitter that they trust or maybe a family member that the children know. It isn't healthy for you not to go away. You need to establish a relationship with a local person who can come while you are there and meet Otto and spend time with him. That way he will begin to trust her and moe importantly, so will you. There are some very nice kennels these days with big rooms. Things have changed and pets are being pampered more than ever. I think you just found a miserable kennel. Why don't you contact a local vet and see if he has any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

I completely understand! The few times that I have been "forced" to board my sweet little yellow lab (Ripley) I literally cried as we left. I just can't do it without thinking about her the whole time.

Anonymous said...

I understand too! The first time I had to leave my baby it was awful!
We used to live in Racine and there is a place there called Berbee kennels, run by a very nice lady. If there is room, she'll open two kennels together so the big guys have more room. You can bring your own food, visit, see the kennels, everything. Dogs can have playtime together running around in the yard.
Unfortunately my Jake proved almost impossible to catch. The owner had to have her son come over, they linked hands, and cornered him. She suggested maybe he skip play time after that, lol!.