Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Food Motivated?

Amazing what a good night's sleep will do for the sick...you know when people feel better when they want to eat something and give you a complete set of instructions on exactly how they want it. A bowl of Chicken Noodle soup with a few crackers mashed up, a few on the side with a little butter, a Coke with some ice, a small scoop of coffee ice cream, cause it would "feel good on his throat" with some hot fudge if it wouldn't be too much trouble.......

When animals go off their food it is a huge problem. Our black lab could be in the middle of a small seizure and have one foot in a steel trap and still have it in him to take a biscuit. Otto is quite the opposite, he is not food motivated in the least. When he was a puppy, I had to mix his food up with all kinds of yummy things just to get him to eat a small bit of it. I tried all kinds of food without much luck until finally one day, he just started eating. I think he was about 2 years old. Otto now enjoys a type of Holistic Chicken dog food with a bit of boiled, skinless, boneless, organic, free roaming and happy, chicken breast which sends his breeder into laughing fits.

Suits me that Otto isn't food motivated, I don't need another food motivated, "the silver is over there in the brown chest by the door just don't bother me while I enjoy this whopper you just threw me" dog. I don't want anyone else trying to feed him, or worse, tossing him a poisoned steak and then heading for open entry to our house. Paranoid? I think not, I got Otto for a good reason.

I have confidence that Otto would not take food from a stranger ..I think....but now that I think more about this, I am going to have arrange a test for him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait a minute, Otto's mom. Otto grabbed that donut with lightning speed from the little girl's hand. I think he failed the won't take food from a stranger test.

Your stories are hilarious.

Written by Otto's Mom said...

Hmmm... I am afraid you have a point. My only hope is that a robber wouldn't be carrying a dozen Krispy Kreme's with him...some things are simply irresistible.