Friday, January 25, 2008

Otto's Vanity



I have read numerous articles claiming that Anatolian Shepherd Dogs can tolerate extreme temperatures and this attribute makes them well suited for guarding livestock in different regions.


Well I am not sure that this is entirely true. It was about 15 below this morning and by the time he reached the end of our short driveway, Otto had already lifted his leg three times and was in complete turn around mode back to the garage door....I reminded him that he had more business to tend to and that he wasn't going back home.


I also remember that last summer it was about 85 to 95 degrees for 3 days in a row. On more then one occasion, Otto has made it to the end of the drive way and simply stopped, looking exhausted and over heated, he turned back towards the door.

I know that Anatolians can acclimate to the climates that they reside in but Otto doesn't seem to be one of them, nor am I for that matter. I prefer the heat at 68 degrees in the winter and the air conditioning about the same on those hot summer days. I hate being hot and I hate being cold. So does Otto. He likes to be comfortable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He is a boy after my own heart with regard to temperature. This dog is a gentle giant unless he feels his mistress is in danger. I have heard the low sound he makes when he is uneasy and it is scary. I have watched him , this huge graceful animal, playing ever so gently with his small little yellow lab cousin. He is the epitomy of a gentleman. He is not a lap dog and his kisses are few and far between, but he is just what his master needs, a loyal friend and protector. He makes me feel very secure. I should know. I am his aunt and I have loved him since he was a little puppy. Otto, you are a remarkable animal and we are crazy about you!!!